Riding the waves: poem for Grandad


I know you're somewhere, 
Somewhere out there, 
Staring back at me. 
Strange as it may seem 
I feel so serene, 
For I know your spirit's free.

 

I won't forget the day 
When you slipped away 
And my eyes could cry no tears. 
Feeling no grief 
I just sighed with relief, 
For you'd suffered too many years.

 

I remember one time 
I gave you my rhyme; 
It was called “A Soul By The Sea”. 
You told me with pride 
I'd exactly described 
How you feel when you're by the sea.

 

The word Death has no place 
Inside my mind's space: 
You've simply changed your clothes. 
The music for your Goodbye 
Was my honour to find, 
So a piece called The Waves I chose.

 

You came to thank me, 
That's how I know you're free, 
As one night in bed I lay: 
I talked to you a while, 
Said 'Goodnight' with a smile, 
And you made my jewellery box play.

 

Each time I go to the beach, 
For your spirit I reach 
And inhale the fresh air of the sea. 
In this calm atmosphere 
Your old saying I hear: 
”Fresh air's the only thing that is free”.

 

Now I can't hold your hand 
But when I touch the sand 
It's just like being right next to you. 
Your face I still see 
In my memory 
And I sometimes can hear your voice, too.

Amid the salty sea air 
Your remains are now there, 
Overlooking the rocks and the caves. 
In the sun, wind and rain 
You can swim once again; 
Forever you're riding the waves.

by; Melanie Ann Calvert
Source; poem Hunter

Dont forget to like, comment, share and subscribe to our newsletter.
Wanna share some of your poems to be posted? Send to; erinayomi95@gmail.com

Thanks Y'all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment